Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Coping strategies for "bad days"

When I'm having a bad day, the medications I try are IBuprofen or Vicodin. Vicodin is highly addictive and try to use that as a last resort. These are the other things that I try to feel better:

1. Heat pad
2. Cold pack
3. Massage pad (heated Shiatsu massage)
4. Shower
5. Funny movie
6. Crossword puzzles (this may sound odd, but anything that can occupy your mind can be
helpful). I had taken a couple trauma courses in graduate school and they talked about how
activities like crossword puzzles are therapeutic.
7. Calling supportive family and friends
8. Stretching
9. Breathing exercises
10. Listen to music
11. Nap/lay down
12. Meditation and/or praying
13. Paint or draw (if I can manage to do so...and it occupies my mind enough from the pain)
14. Play with or watch our guinea pigs
15. Journal or write

Those are the main things that I try doing to ease pain on bad days. Do you have chronic pain? What kinds of things do you try to do/use? Do you know someone who suffers from pain? Which of these activities could be helpful for them?


Minute by minute, hour by hour, and day by day know you are not alone.
Lindsay

No comments: